Humbert’s Route


On 22nd of August 1798, the French General, Jean Joseph Amable Humbert led 1,000 men ashore after their ship sailed into Kilcummin, on the edge of Killala Bay. The French took over the home of Bishop Stock, the Church of Ireland Bishop of Killala, and turned it into their headquarters, before making their way towards Ballina and Castlebar. From here, they plotted their attack on the British in Castlebar.

Sorry, map not available